Geoconservation and Geoparks
by Prof. José Brilha
One day (8 hours)
1. To introduce main geoconservation concepts to newcomers;
2. To raise awareness of geoparks;
3. To promote the topic in African and Arab countries.
1. Geodiversity: concepts, values and threats. Download the content of the chapter
2. Geological heritage: concepts, types and uses (science; education, geotourism).Download the content of the chapter
3. Geoconservation strategies: inventory, assessment, conservation, interpretation and monitoring of geosites. Discussion of examples.
4. Geoparks: concepts, development of new projects and examples.Download the content of the chapter
Geologists, geographers, biologists, park managers, tourism managers, school teachers, university students, etc. Maximum number of participants: 30.
Prof. José Brilha
Short CV - José B.R. Brilha is an Associate Professor at the University of Minho (Portugal). For the last 13 years, he is working on geoconservation in Portugal and abroad. He is Editor-in-Chief of Geoheritage, the first international peer-reviewed journal dedicated to geoconservation, published since 2009 by Springer. He is member of the Geoheritage IUGS Task Group, member of the Executive Committee of ProGEO (The European Association for the Conservation of the Geological Heritage) and member of the Scientific Committee of the Arouca Geopark, Portugal (EGN/GGN).